Sunday 9 August 2009

RANT: I KID YOU NOT


Here's an impromptu post if ever there was one. I've got two or three other posts begging me to finish them (figuratively speaking of course... I'm not implying that my posts actually speak to me!) But after a wee family trip out today I feel compelled (horrible blogger word that, compelled) to blog.

Now, here's the warning, the comedy stops here (what do you mean you it hadn't started?). I really do hate to get up on my soapbox here. Pfft, sorry, that's a lie. I LOVE getting on my soapbox, but I like to do it with a lighthearted flair... To detract from the fact I'm preaching to you. It's going to be a rarity that you'll see Ness get serious on here. I think life is hard enough without a total stranger coming along and pointing out new and fun things to be depressed about. However, on this occasion, I'm making an exception.

Family Sundays with the Family Ness (my family, not the cult cartoon) consists of some very basic staples. There must be a car journey, rock music must be played, junk food must be consumed, Mr. Ness and Wee Ness must continually wind each other up and I MUST loose my temper at every inopportune moment available. Although it may sound like Hell to you, we really do love our Sundays together. Usually because it's stress free, despite my tantrums, and all feels right with the world.

Today we drove to a fast food joint for lunch and, against our better judgment, decided to sit in. Now while I could wax lyrical all day about the dodgy establishment, I won't... This time. We left after we felt our arteries were sufficiently enough congealed and walked back to the car. Wee Ness and I got in first. Mr. Ness held back, staring incredulously into the car parked next to us.

"There's a baby in that car. I can't believe there's a crying baby ALONE in that car" He shouts

I get out of the car and look around the deserted car park. No one about. Someone left their one year old baby in a car park in the middle of bloody summer (it may be Scotland but it was still hot as hell today). I lost it and stomped back into the restaurant to inform the staff about the problem. I had hoped, in vain, that they would call the police and we'd get the baby out of the car before the child lost conciseness. I was wrong, I informed the teller, who told his manager who in turn told her boss. The boss (a 17 year old slip of a thing) meandered around outside the restaurant and then came straight back inside.

“Did you see the baby?" I asked hysterically

"Nope" came lackadaisical reply

"Its 2 hundred yards away in that black car. My family is in the one next to it"

“The baby is in a car? Alone? That's not good"

"You're kidding right? What the Hell are you going to do?"

At this point we both look out and notice a young ten year old girl is now in the car.

"That's solved that then hasn't it?" The manager seemed relieved.

"Solved what? Now there's TWO kids left alone in the car. I'm going to deal with this myself"

"Now, don't do anything silly. These people could be dangerous you know"

"Could? Could be dangerous? Of course they're bloody dangerous. They left a one year old baby alone in a car in the middle of summer. The bastards"

I storm out towards the car and there's a father, mother and toddler walking in front of me... Straight to the car. Seems they heard me reporting the problem and decided to take their fat arses back to the children they'd left behind. They got into the car and I stood there.

What did you do next Ness? Did you accost them? Scream and shout at them for being utter scumbags for endangering their baby’s life? Did you call the police and demand they get arrested for child endangerment?

No. I. Did. Nothing. Good grief, even admitting that out loud makes me sick. I let them drive away and get away with one of the worst crimes in society. I've not blogged enough for you to know me properly yet, but I'm usually the first person to call someone out. I've never stood idly by while bad things were done to innocent people... Before.

I got into my car and immediately began to shout to Mr. Ness about what scum they were and how they should have been punished. The louder I shouted the more I realized, as well as being mad at them, I was more disappointed in myself.

The sheer volume of apathy that is felt towards crime is frightening. It's a given that bad things happen in today’s society, while bugger all is done. I've always known this, but I never realized how serious the effect was until today. Until I joined in with all the other mindless drones and let people commit a heinous crime right in front of me.

Those bastards are off to continue their blatant disregard of their child's life because I never did anything.

SHIT!

7 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up too badly, Ness. Scumbags like that usually get what's coming to them, and pretty quickly at that. Just take it as a lesson learned and be thankful that you haven't devolved into a mindless drone just yet...

    Luvs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and how long would bubba have been left in the car if you hadn't kicked off? You DID do something. Fear that you WOULD call the police got them out of there not the fact they had finished their meal.

    One thing you aint is a mindless drone. This post is proof of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear about that all the time here and every summer it seems that some woman, who was so stressed with her list of things to do, leaves her infant child in the car where it is later found dead. Good for you for at least doing more than what most people would do. Hopefully the parents were within earshot and managed to get embarrassed enough to hopefully never do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others here that you were pivotal in getting the situation resolved before it became a tragedy, but understand your frustration with yourself as well. Any time I've hesitated and then lost an opportunity to make a difference, I've regretted it. As I type this, several come to mind....and still cause me concern. However, all events provide experience. By sharing yours, you've helped spread the benefit.

    I enjoyed reading several of your postings and would enjoy comments from you on my new blog. It's my first attempt into the "public" realm away from my private and well-worn handwritten journal. I just keep telling myself that if I regret it, I can plead "blogger's remorse" and delete it. treasuremap1205.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all very much for your supportive comments on this touchy subject. It's very much appreciated.
    The fact that you are all intelligent women who have made these comments have made me feel much better on the subject.
    After I wrote it I felt like a right fool for whining on my blog. Don't get me wrong, I will in no way be posting more of these 'I feel so sorry for myself that I expect you to too' but I'm glad that the one I did post was read and understood. Thank you so much
    Ness

    ReplyDelete
  6. Day late, dollar short, but here's my 2 cents:

    Ditto. You *did* do something, and that's to be commended. And you didn't whine on your blog, so no harm there either. Besides - isn't the whole point of a blog like this to get things off of your chest?

    Mind out of the gutter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ELISAMAZA!!! As I live and breathe. It's great to see you over this way and even better to hear from you.
    Thanks for the support, I know you'd bitch slap the crap out of me if I had whined on here, so thank you!
    Ness

    ReplyDelete

Oh go on, you know you want to say something.