Saturday 8 August 2009

RAMBLINGS: LORD OF THE BLOGS


Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day, I wandered lonely as a cloud, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times... All fabulous first lines that draw us into the story/poem/fortune cookie. With this in mind you can understand the pressure I've been feeling to 'draw' people into my blog. Especially as I took a wee wander round the blogger community this evening and realized, with abject horror, that the most popular blogs appear to be centered around the following subjects:

The Lord, my Saviour
Celebrity gossip
The Lord, your Saviour
Cute pets doing crazy things
The Lord, Obama
Quick fix answers for bad parents (No, seriously!)
Cute parent pets of Obama doing gossip about the Lord


With this realization came this; I'm totally screwed if I ever expect to get any readers. And before I start to get an influx of slanderous hate mail claiming I'm disrespecting their Lord/president/parent/cute pet, I'm really not. Hell, I'm doing a blog centered round my never ending irritation at the human race so I'm really in no position to judge yours now am I? No, I'm just commenting that to have a blog that is read by more than two people (or, as in my case, ONE!) you 'might' consider including one of the above topics. And that, my friends (friend), is a bloody shame.

Now I realize that this is a massive sweeping statement (I tend to make these you know) and in no way covers all the blogs I read this evening that were popular... Or deserved to be popular. I read a fair few that were absolutely excellent and, in the spirit of human kindness (or boredom, you decide), I've decided to add a couple of them to this post.

http://brucecoltin.blogspot.com

http://abookwithaview.blogspot.com

http://hypersexualgirl.blogspot.com/

http://ohheylook.blogspot.com

http://www.blogdoctor.me/

http://oohbooks.blogspot.com

http://wheredoyouwanttoputthat.blogspot.com/



These blogs are interesting, highly amusing and written with the general reader in mind. Gregarious people who want to share their 'passions' with other people. No tacky 'in' jokes, lax grammar, shameless plugs for fellow illiterates or any of the other teeth grindingly low standard nonsense.

I'm a huge literature fan (what do you mean you could never tell from my blog?) so me adding the book blogs make sense, but a couple of the others have nothing to do with anything that interests me. So why link to them? The authors are enthusiastic about their subjects. They don't assume the reader is an expert on the subject they're blogging about and that is a very welcome change.

On a serious note (oh cherish this, it's a rarity!), I now know that I'd rather have one or two (oh ok, one) readers who were genuinely interested in what I had to write as opposed to a whole army of 'you add mine, I'll add yours' arse lickers who have no more intention of reading my blog than they do of taking a course in basic grammar.

So Ness, did you learn a thing or two about how to get you're following figures up? No, no I did not. Mind you, you'll notice there's a distinct lack of the words sex, vibration and masturbation in this post... Oh crap!

Until next time, look after yourselves... and your fellow bloggers.

Ness x

13 comments:

  1. hi, are you at all interested in a position for an online magazine, I'm currently in the process of recruiting editors to help me run it. I'd like you to do a section based on rants/ramblings, very well-written of course, and by you.
    if you are into writing about anything else, also let me know.
    thanks

    -aa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sir, can more than count me in. Och, I'm chuffed to all Hell now. There was me thinking my blog was the least popular one on this site.

    I'll write anything about anything, the trouble with me is that I don't appear to process a (much needed) self edit button. So if you're stuck on any other topics, give me shout.

    Ness x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ness, Thanks for the mention. Your audience is out there and there are plenty of them. It's just a matter of them finding you. It takes work to find your readers. Keep yourself visible. Visit other blogs and leave comments. The kind of blogs you've mentioned are just one slice of the blog reading universe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello NN,
    Thanks for your Blog! Always ready to visit the UK! I especially Love LONDON!
    Thanks, Roger / Florida / USA.
    http://truth459.blogspot.com/
    Ende..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for your comment Truth459. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never been to London despite living a couple of hundred miles away.
    Ness

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh there are so many more blog topics out there (just look at yours *g*) The way to get yourself heard is basically what you are doing. Promote, promote, promote. You must be doing something right if your first comment is anything to go by.

    You've certainly intrigued me enough to go look at the rest of your blog. Not sure I recommend you return the favour as I do link to other blogs in my posts. Only because I don't want to be accused of nicking ideas mind you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Carmen

    Welcome and thank you very much for your comments (I LOVED your comments on Stealth Love).

    I'm afraid I didn't take your advice... I went and had a look at your blog (and your daughters, which was wonderful) and I'm afraid I'm addicted. You're very welcome on here any time you like.

    Ness

    ReplyDelete
  8. *g* That's alright then ;) I love your title banner, particularly as I've always wated to visit Loch Ness and am finally going at the end of the month. If I'd told OH Nessie looked like that I'm sure he would have agreed to go years ago! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're going to Loch Ness? You lucky thing. We've not been since March and even then we drove by in the middle of the night... thanks to Mr. Ness and his amazing ability to get lost on the ONE road in and out of Inversneggy (Inverness!)!
    Thanks for the compliment on the banner. Again, that was Mr. Ness, he's responsible for all photos on this blog. I'm not to be trusted... apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nesss,
    after readin yor latest post i was inclined to read the rest, and dahlin dim is sum nice ens.
    will catch everone of your from now on even if you did pick on my grammar, and i agree totaly about the you follow me and i'll follow you blog lottery thing.
    Hey my people are from perth, kewl huh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Small world! Oh, and it wasn't you I was actually aiming that question on Coffee Shop at... but you know, watch your sodding spelling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I struggle with the same thing. I decided that, for now, I'm ok with not really having a readership. I was actually shocked and little unnerved when a few people left me comments last year - I had no idea anyone was actually paying attention! Right now, I don't update consistently enough to worry about whether or not anyone is watching. Once I'm more motivated, I'll have to think more about how to let people know where I am. For now, I'm happy to put up the occasional rant on my page, and excited to see what you're blogging about :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ELISAMAZA, yes you're so ok with not having a readership that you neglected to leave your blog address... To me, of all the people to not pass it out to! Hand it over now or I will no longer include our strange conversations on my blog (your absence was all too obvious on the ONE post that had you in woman! At least you know you're not alone with your Twilight theory).
    Man it's good to have the back up of at least one Rant Group member... Quick, lets go guilt trip the rest of them!

    Ness(ie)

    ReplyDelete

Oh go on, you know you want to say something.