Tuesday 18 August 2009

RANT: BIG BROTHER IS WEIGHT WATCHING YOU!


Nessie is over weight. Nessie thinks it's time to see her feet again. Nessie realizes that the time old excuses of 'my medication makes me fat' and ‘the washing machine shrunk my jeans' are just that, old. Nessie has joined Weight Watchers. Nessie will now pause for selected sniggers and judgement from the readers. Nessie is going to stop typing in third person now because Nessie is confusing herself.

Yes that's right; I've joined that ever growing cult of Weight Watchers. I call it a cult for many reasons.

1. They use an inordinate amount of cult references. For example; it’s run by people who call themselves ‘leaders’ helping you to achieve your ‘goal’ by sticking to the ‘plan’.

2. It relies on a tremendous amount of brain washing to keep its followers in line.

3. Their meetings are highly stressed and full of followers who, collectively, resemble peak hour at the unemployment office.

I was going to do this blog all about my first meeting, which was a barrel of laughs I can tell you, but I changed my mind when I made a rather startling (well, it is to me... I'm food deprived) discovery that I thought would appeal to a more general audience. So bare with me, this may take some time!

My leader is a particularly insipid and obsequious woman called Fiona, or FiFi as she asked us to call her. You know the type: too much make up, lots patronising disguised as support and the frightening belief that if you dare turn up to one of her meetings having gained weight, then that supercilious grin plastered to her face could very easily turn into a sneer before she publicly flays you alive in front of the other sheeple of her congregation.

Well, I signed up (having to hand over not just my email address but blood, urine, sperm and any alias’ I had ever gone by), weighed in at my expected inordinate amount, stayed for the patronising pep talk and left, my ears ringing with the thinly veiled threat

"Now remember, I'll know it you cheat or not"

*SHUDDER*

Now ordinarily I'm not a particularly paranoid person. Sure I believe everyone mocks my hair cut/weight/intelligence/motherhood skills/survival rate but no more than your average mentally unbalanced anti social reprobate. So imagine my surprise when I found myself with the sneaking suspicion that, at any given moment I was about to be (as you young, hip things call it) PUNKED!

Every time I reached for a piece of food I kept checking out the window to make sure there were no unmarked satellite vans packed with a Weight Watchers SWAT team prepared to rugby tackle me to the ground lest I actually consume more calories than a fruit fly’s fart.

I became convinced that Mr. Ness and Wee Ness were, in actual fact, double agents. Yeah sure, Wee Ness 'claimed' she was chatting to her invisible friend but you can never be too sure.

After adopting this new paranoid, jumpy and quiet frankly pathetic shadow of the fat bastard I'd formally been, I decided to give in to the mind games and just follow all the rules (sod anarchy, it doesn't use up enough calories). I realized that if I was convinced I was going to be caught cheating it was only because I'd be cheating myself... or so they wanted me to believe.

When you join Weight Watchers they give you your own individual password so you can go to their online site and chat/cry/swap conspiracy theories with other fat people. I, like the blind fool that I am, joined immediately after the meeting. With the highly suspect promise that you're 50% more likely to loose weight if you join the website as well as attend the meetings, how could I refuse?

I was on there the other night, feeling weak (and not just from lack of sustenance) and looking for support. When a familiar name popped up on my screen.

"Hiya Ness its Fifi. What are you doing up this late at night? You're going to absolutely ruin your diet by not getting enough recommended sleep. Don't you dare cheat. Of to bed with you. I'll know if you stay online. See you at the Wednesday meeting. You WILL have lost weight."

Bloody hell! I screamed out loud, pushed myself away from the computer instantly and scurried up to bed like a frightened animal.

So that's how she would know if I'd cheated or not. Big Brother's not just watching, he's bloody stalking and in a 'watch you as you sleep, brush the strands of hair from your face' way... Big Brother is incestuous!

I'm going to my meeting tomorrow night as planned. If I don't return home after that it means I gained weight. Please send the search party to Weight Watchers... armed!

16 comments:

  1. that is so damn funny, I've been laughing constantly since reading. i could just picture the weight watcher swat team surrounding you house armed with olive oil containers to hose you down with. lol lol lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Och Cheers Bob, glad it entertained. But somehow when you say 'hose down with oil' it becomes slightly naughty... no idea why;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ness, OMG (to quote those hip young things you referenced)!!! I just posted myself about personal weight goals before I read this. We are on a shared wavelength.... Throw in one more smart, sassy woman and we could, I think, conquer the world : )

    I am a WW refugee/survivor and can tell you from experience that the leaders are trained to kill, maim, and torture to reach their....I mean your goals. My ultimate fear was that I would lose weight, but become one of "them". I made my husband swear that the first time I faced him with the gleam of a choc deprived woman in my eye and offered a fat free, sugar free, no calorie, low cholesterol, high fiber FABULOUS "tastes like the real thing" dessert - he would back slowly from the room (taking all sharp instruments and the kids with him) and call 911. If you need that same commit from me - you've got it. I will monitor your posts for signs of real food deprivation and send the calvary if need be. Should you start posting gleefully about new wonderful recipes for avacodo cucumber wraps that satisfy like a double cheeseburger - I will skip the calvary and call your closest pizza delivery establishment. However, should I see you quoting your weight in numbers that include a decimal and 3 digits to the right of it, I will mark you up as a lost cause and start on an ulogy fit for the queen. After all, what are new blogger friends for : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO (I am SO with it), Deb you're a funny, funny woman and indeed a like minded soul.

    Oh man, I laughed so bloody hard (approximately 2.4 points worth!) all the way through your comment that Mr. Ness has just informed me how uncouth it is to laugh at one's own post. I told him, with the kind of glee usually reserved for 'Single White Female' wannabe's, that I had found my fat fighting buddy to save me from the inevitable 'one of us, one of us' spectacle that you so rightly predicted.

    That scene from The Body Snatchers where Donald Sutherland points at his friend and screeches never seemed so real!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if you are a Harry Potter fan (another "literary to movie" choice I mark up to my children but in fact do enjoy), but when you described FiFi, the image of Professor Umbridge from the Order of Phoenix is what came to mind. The infamous quill replaced with a fork that emblazes every forbidden food you eat on your hand for the world to see. In reality, of course, those transgressions are tattoo'd in the form of cellulite on my ass, but you get the idea.

    And please inform Mr. Ness that the act of chuckling in rich satisfaction over ones own post is not so different from the level of self-satisfaction they (men) garner from a disgustingly loud belch or fart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with Weight Watchers. I've never really been one to have the urge to let people outside of my doctor's office know what the scale is saying. I like to be able fudge it by a couple of pounds if asked - without there being a scale nearby. I prefer to diet the old fashioned, unhealthy way: eat very little (on the verge of starvation) until I go back down to my "normal" weight. At which time I go back to eating chocolate daily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In case you didn't already know, you make a lousy soldier. And, no, there is naughty double entendre behind the word "make."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, I'm ashamed to admit that it is mostly I that find farting and belching amusing... I disgust me too!

    Lena, you like dieting unhealthy? Gosh you should join Weight Watchers too then ;) Wow, I wonder if Fifi will offer commission.

    Bruce, yes it has occurred to me that I'd make a lousy soldier... But I'd make a magnificent general. And there's always a double entendre behind everything I type (I shame me). :)

    Ness

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ness,
    Maybe Fifi is like Santa. There is one original, but many many "fifi helpers" who disguise themselves as Fifi. So the one who was cyber stalking you is not the same on who will verbally acost you at your meeting... Just a thought. but you are an army of one, and you could probably kick Fifi's scary grin right off her face.
    so good luck to you, and don't pee your pants when she yells at you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, this made me chuckle a lot. Thanks for this, Ness!

    I wonder if AA meetings are of a similar calibre. i once used to live above a basement that held regular AA meetings, and sometimes I'd hear strange chanting. but i could never quite work out what it was they were saying. perhaps they had a Fifi of their very own: (although i imagine it to be a male version) urging them to chant their hearts out. Hmmm, and now because of Anxious Buddhist's comment, I am imagining that male version to be Santa himself. How disturbing.

    Santa leading an AA meeting. Oh dear, I need to go to bed...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nessie,
    I dropped by to thank you for adding yourself as a follower to my blog and to thank you also for your well written response to my post today. I always appreciate comments, especially intelligent ones like yours. Please stop by again. I look forward to learning more about you.
    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  13. Little Britain got it so right didn't they? I periodically rejoin WW everynow and then to get the latest books & bumf and then don't darken their doors for another year. I NEVER stay to meetings - bloody hell you are brave - and straight after meetings I get a bacon butty in the Bakers Oven... I probably killed my stalker with disgust.

    Thanks for the tips about Loch Ness - I'm to skint for them to fleece me though and I lived in Fife for ten years so am the official designated translator for my OH :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mother convinced me to go on WW with her, too. Creepy stuff ya got there. We did the 'at home [aka faliure] plan'. Anxious Buddhist has a point though. Thanks, Christmas is ruined for me. But seriously, now you're gonna hafta post again soon, we're gonna think Big Brother caught you and a Mr. O'Brien is torturing you rather crudely for the smear you've put here. Even now, there's someone reading, using a cell phone, I'm sure at some point he/she said, "Someone knows too much... Yes, I know the plan."

    Good luck!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. ness, sorry about the olive oil, fish oil?
    i did not know this, i always thought i was of just irish decent because i am so stoopid, found out i actually am scotch-irish, man, i just lowered the status, of both nations, so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Right, I'm hanging my head in shame at my lack of attendance on here recently. Apart from going back to college to finish my degree (only 15 years too late!), starting up this same blog but on different applications (pays to hedge bets), loosing weight & exercising (it works... The fear cult works!) but I'm also avoiding being on the web 24/7 lest I decide I don't have to get my self together and leave the house after all!

    I hereby promise to get my act together and finally finish the post I've been meaning to edit for the last 12 days. I'll also get my arse in gear and come back on here to reply to my much loved comments... Weight loss/life be damned, it's my readers that matter! :D

    Ness

    Oh and Bob, It's Scots NOT Scotch... You describe a Scot as Scotch and you'll regret it. Apparently my fellow Scotsmen/women/haggis' take offence at the word. I personally don't take issue with a word that describes me as a spirit with great taste, but you know, to each their own! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Oh go on, you know you want to say something.